Tuesday 25 August 2009

Landmarks and Milestones


Sorry we've not been around much, but we've been busy in Scotland. We haven't had very much luck with getting online (the occasional internet cafe has been about it), but now we've found a campsite with free WiFi, so we'll be doing some more posting in the next few days.

In our absence, we've clocked up a few "milestones." Back in May we reached our 500th night under Aluminium. August 1st was the eighteenth monthiversary (is that a proper word?) of the start of our Big Adventure. That's also about how long it took us to travel the 20,000th mile. Finally, today, this very blog received its 10,000th visit.

I'm not sure how I should feel about all of that. Proud? Exhausted? Thirsty?

It has been the greatest adventure of my life. If anyone out there is thinking about doing what we've done, stop thinking and do it. We haven't, for one second, had a single regret about the trip. Some people have suggested that we've wasted our time by not traveling abroad. I can only reply that 18 months in the UK just isn't enough. We've barely scratched the surface of this remarkable part of the world.


But what next? Fear not - we will be carrying on. There's a lot of world out there, and we want to see it.

So thank you, dear readers, who have followed us along our journey. We promise to keep you updated of where we've been and where we're going. In the meantime...



P

4 comments:

Greg said...

I am one of your regular readers and I spend my days trying to work out how I can do what you're doing. I think I need to sit down with someone to discuss the practicalities and work out how to afford day-to-day living once I'm on the road.

I can just about stretch to the Airstream & big car and I've a property to rent out that would bring in a small amount of regular income (about £700pcm), but I doubt that would be enough.

I don't "live life large". I'd be happy to rock up somewhere quiet and enjoy nature and read through my vast pile of unread books, to write my awful poetry and perhaps learn an instrument. But I am aware that there are always unforeseen costs and my little income would barely cover site fees and food without even stretching to diesel. When I read ajdesq's blog, I can see that he has an income from caravan reviewing and he successfully rents out a smashing-looking holiday home. How do you manage? Would you consider posting an entry going into practicalities and any downsides of being on the road?

Greg

Pete said...

Greg,

Thanks for following us.

Over the next couple of months, we're going to be slowing down a bit and spending some time addressing questions like yours. We've had quite a few people asking "How do you do it?" and it's about time we answered them.

I hope you can wait that long...

Pete

THISNTHAT said...

Hi, Great photos (as usual). Only just caught up with your last few blogs ... good to see that the great adventure goes on & on. Enjoy yourselves:)
Lesley X

Anonymous said...

Entertaining and as eloquent as always!
What an amazing couple you are. I'm sorry, but you ARE! ;-)
A x